The Undeniable Truth About the Crisis at the Border
One thing that has not been discussed enough is that the current immigration crisis was created by the United States. The United States has been taking actions that have destabilized Central America for the past 100 years.
- A Century of U.S. Intervention Created the Immigration Crisis
- The Violence Central American Migrants Are Fleeing Was Stoked by the US
- How US foreign policy in Central America may have fueled the migrant crisis
- Fleeing a hell the US helped create: why Central Americans journey north
In addition, the migrants have been mischaracterized by the Republican party as illegal immigrants. They are not. The asylum laws say you have to come here to the United States before you can ask for asylum. There is no possible way of asking for asylum while outside of the United States.
I know what some of you are no doubt saying right now; “you are supposed to seek asylum at a border crossing.” That is exactly what they are trying to do.
Asylum seekers are being turned away at the border, and have been all along. The actions of the Trump administration is in violation of international law.
- Trump Administration Is Illegally Turning Away Asylum Seekers
- Barred at the Border: Wait “Lists” Leave Asylum Seekers in Peril at Texas Ports of Entry
- Thousands of asylum-seekers left waiting at the US-Mexico border
- Challenging Customs and Border Protection’s Unlawful Practice of Turning Away Asylum Seekers
- Trump’s New Restrictions on Asylum Seekers Violate U.S. and International Law, Experts Say
These legal seekers of asylum are being forced to wait at the border for weeks or even months in a dangerous situation until they have no choice to cross the border without permission in the hopes that they can try to request asylum again once they have crossed the border.
So lets review.
- The United States has spent 100 years destabilizing Central America.
- Things have finally become so bad in Central America that people are fleeing to seek a better life elsewhere.
- You cannot request asylum until you are here in the United States.
- When the legal asylum seekers arrive at the border they are being turned away illegally.
- These legal asylum seekers are left with no choice but the cross the border without permission since they are being turned away illegally at border crossings so they can try to request asylum again once they are here.
If the Democrats want to force Trump out of office, they need to focus on making these truths known to all.
Donald Trump; a.k.a. Donald Drumpf, a.k.a. Lord Dampnut, a.k.a. Dumbnut, a.k.a. Donnie Trumpelstiltskin, a.k.a. Donald tRUMP; our most, or perhaps least, honored (not my) POTUS and our great Bloviator in Chief!